Sunday, January 13, 2008

What is La Brava de la Pelicula?

The idea for this concept was born after telling my dad I had met my (now ex) boyfriend’s ex-wife on Thanksgiving Day in 2006. It was a pleasant enough greeting between us, but my dad quickly interrupted my story and exclaimed, “Recuerda, que la brava de la pelicula eres tu!” This translates to “Remember, you are the heroine in this movie!”

“La brava de la pelicula…” statement is a very common Cuban idiom. It is defiant and positive in asserting one’s power over any situation and enforces a winning attitude. Consequently, it is wonderful advice for a parent to give a child of any age. Especially in relationships, I’ve come to consider the fact that I always win. If things work out, I win; if things don’t work out, I win. Why? Because, I am La Brava de la Pelicula!

Later that week, I was having a late lunch at a former speakeasy with a close friend. I told her the story and we decided this has to be a movement promoting empowerment and self worth. We plan to create t-shirts and invite our audience to share their story of how one defines being La Brava de la Pelicula and how to live by this concept.

So, I invite you to visit this site and see how things progress. Please email me your story by clicking my link below. Meanwhile, enjoy the images of lovely Maria Felix who embodied “La Brava de la Pelicula” both on and off screen.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome concept for a blog! This is going to be HOT!